The African Portal
  • Home
  • General News
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Arts & Entertainment
  • Features & Opinions
  • Science & Technology
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • Agriculture & Environment
No Result
View All Result
SUBSCRIBE
The African Portal
  • Home
  • General News
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Arts & Entertainment
  • Features & Opinions
  • Science & Technology
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • Agriculture & Environment
No Result
View All Result
The African Portal
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Nigeria condemns G’Bissau coup, Jonathan evacuated by special flight

The African Portal by The African Portal
November 28, 2025
in Politics
0
Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

ABUJA, Nov 28 (The African Portal) – Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau following a military coup that toppled the country’s government, the Federal Government confirmed on Thursday.

You might also like

Ex-president’s daughter resigns over allegations she duped South Africans to fight for Russia

31st December Women’s Movement hails Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings as “symbol of African womanhood”

Guinea-Bissau military officers announce ‘all borders closed’ after taking control of country

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told journalists in Abuja, “Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau. He left with a special flight with members of his delegation, including Mohamed Chambas.”

Jonathan had been in Guinea-Bissau leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission during last Sunday’s presidential and legislative elections when the military announced it had seized power.

Earlier, the House of Representatives urged President Bola Tinubu’s government to take urgent diplomatic action to ensure Jonathan’s safety.

Deputy Speaker, Benjamin Kalu, highlighted the matter during plenary, describing it as an “important emergency.”

House Leader, Prof. Julius Ihonvbere, briefed lawmakers, noting Jonathan’s extensive experience as an election observer in countries including Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ghana, Mozambique, Pakistan, Tanzania, and South Africa.

He said, “Currently, he is trapped in Guinea-Bissau because of the coup. From my own investigations, the government is aware and they are doing everything possible to get him back as quickly and safely as possible. Our goal is to urge the government not to relent in that effort to use all diplomatic means to get a former president, a true democrat, back to Nigeria immediately.”

Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda, also supported the call, describing Jonathan as “one of the best civilian presidents” Nigeria has produced.

He added, “The importance we attach to his life should also be attached to the life of every other Nigerian, whether a former president or not, whether at home or abroad.

That said, I fully support that the government should do everything possible to ensure that former President Jonathan returns home safely.”

Following the discussion, the House unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Federal Government to activate all necessary diplomatic channels for Jonathan’s immediate evacuation.

On Wednesday, military officers in Guinea-Bissau declared they had seized “total control” of the country, arresting incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló, suspending the electoral process, and shutting the country’s borders.

The military cited “national instability,” “electoral irregularities,” and the need to restore order.

Heavy gunfire was reported near the presidential palace, soldiers blocked major access routes, and a curfew was imposed.

The National Electoral Commission reported being attacked by unidentified armed men.

The coup came just before the official release of results from the 23 November presidential election, after both leading candidates had claimed victory.

The military also arrested opposition leader Domingos Simões Pereira, barred from the election by the Supreme Court, as well as several senior military and government officials, including the chief of staff and the minister of the interior.

The Federal Government condemned the coup in strong terms, describing it as a serious threat to democracy and regional stability.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, “The Federal Government condemns this act of military insurrection, which undermines the democratic progress, constitutional order, and stability not only of Guinea-Bissau but of the entire West African sub-region. This represents a blatant violation of the fundamental principles of the Economic Community of West African States Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, which explicitly rejects any ascension to power through unconstitutional means.”

Nigeria expressed solidarity with the people of Guinea-Bissau, calling for the “immediate and unconditional restoration of constitutional order, the safety and security of all those detained and the full respect for the sanctity of democratic institutions in Guinea-Bissau.”

Jonathan, together with former Mozambique President Filipe Nyusi, and Issifu Kamara, head of the ECOWAS Election Observation Mission, condemned the military’s actions in a joint statement, describing the coup as “a direct attempt to disrupt Guinea-Bissau’s democratic process.”

They appealed for calm among residents and reaffirmed their commitment to supporting Guinea-Bissau “during this sensitive period,” stressing “the importance of preserving peace, stability, and the well-being of the Bissau-Guinean people.”

On Thursday, the military appointed General Horta N’Tam, the army’s chief of staff, to lead the country for one year. N’Tam, who has served close to President Embaló, said at a press conference, “I have just been sworn in to lead the High Command. These actions are necessary to block operations that aimed to threaten our democracy. Evidence was sufficient to justify the operation, and necessary measures are urgent and important and require everyone’s participation.”

Guinea-Bissau, one of the world’s poorest nations and a major hub for drug trafficking between Latin America and Europe, has faced repeated political instability, with four successful coups and several attempted takeovers since independence in 1974.

The 2025 polls were conducted amid heightened tension, with over 6,700 security personnel, including ECOWAS Stabilisation Force members, deployed to maintain order.

The international community reacted with concern. UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “following the situation with deep concern,” while Portugal urged restraint and discouraged any acts of institutional or civic violence.

Reporters Without Borders warned that the suspension of media operations amounted to “a serious violation of the right to information. The population must be able to be informed about what is happening in the country, especially in this context of political crisis.”

ECOWAS and the African Union condemned the coup, reaffirming their strict zero-tolerance policy for unconstitutional changes of government.

Nigeria reaffirmed its commitment to working with regional and international partners to restore stability.

Ebienfa said, “Nigeria, as a key member of ECOWAS and the African Union, will work closely with our regional and international partners to take all necessary measures to ensure the swift return to normalcy and constitutional governance in Guinea-Bissau. We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to the promotion of democracy, peace, and stability across the African continent.”

Credit: Punch

Author

  • The African Portal
    The African Portal

Tags: ECOWASGoodluck JonathanGuinea-Bissau's electionGuinea-Bissau’s military
ShareTweet
The African Portal

The African Portal

Recommended For You

Ex-president’s daughter resigns over allegations she duped South Africans to fight for Russia

by The African Portal
November 28, 2025
0
Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla

JOHANNESBURG, Nov 28 (The African Portal) - The daughter of former South African President Jacob Zuma has resigned as an MP following allegations that she tricked 17 men...

Read moreDetails

31st December Women’s Movement hails Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings as “symbol of African womanhood”

by The African Portal
November 28, 2025
0
Ghana holds state funeral for former First Lady Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings

ACCRA, Nov 28 (The African Portal) - The 31st December Women’s Movement has paid an emotional tribute to the late former First Lady, Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings, describing her...

Read moreDetails

Guinea-Bissau military officers announce ‘all borders closed’ after taking control of country

by The African Portal
November 26, 2025
0
Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

BISSAU, Nov 26 (The African Portal) - Guinea-Bissau’s military announced on Wednesday that it had taken full control of the country and ordered the closure of all borders, three...

Read moreDetails

Gunfire erupts in Guinea-Bissau capital ahead of election results, witnesses say

by The African Portal
November 26, 2025
0
Gunfire erupts in Guinea-Bissau capital ahead of election results, witnesses say

BISSAU, Nov 26 (The African Portal) - Gunfire broke out near Guinea-Bissau's election commission headquarters, the presidential palace and interior ministry on Wednesday, a day before provisional results...

Read moreDetails

Schoolgirls release not victory, terrorists running alternative govt in Nigeria – Atiku

by The African Portal
November 26, 2025
0
Atiku Abubakar, Nigeria’s former vice president

ABUJA, Nov 26 (The African Portal) – Nigeria’s former vice president Atiku Abubakar on Wednesday criticised the government’s handling of the abduction and release of schoolgirls in Kebbi...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Ghana holds state funeral for former First Lady Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings

31st December Women’s Movement hails Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings as “symbol of African womanhood”

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Browse by Category

  • Agriculture & Environment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Features & Opinions
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • General News
  • Global News
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Videos

About The African Portal

  • About
  • Advertise with Us
  • The Editor

CATEGORIES

  • Agriculture & Environment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Features & Opinions
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • General News
  • Global News
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Videos

BROWSE BY TAG

News Events Sports 2026 World Cup qualifiers

© 2025 The African Portal

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

Powered by
...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • General News
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Arts & Entertainment
  • Features & Opinions
  • Science & Technology
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • Agriculture & Environment

© 2025 The African Portal

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?