ABUJA, Nov 26 (The African Portal) – Nigeria’s former vice president Atiku Abubakar on Wednesday criticised the government’s handling of the abduction and release of schoolgirls in Kebbi State, saying the development should not be portrayed as a security success but as evidence of the growing reach of armed groups.
In a statement from his media office, Abubakar faulted comments by presidential adviser Bayo Onanuga, who earlier told Arise News that the girls’ release was a security achievement.
Abubakar said the remarks amounted to “whitewashing a national tragedy”, questioning Onanuga’s claim that security agencies had tracked the kidnappers in real time and made contact with them. He said such intelligence should have resulted in the arrest of the abductors rather than negotiations.
“The release of abducted Nigerians is not a trophy moment; it is a reminder that terrorists now operate freely, negotiate openly and dictate terms,” Abubakar said. He added that if security agencies were monitoring the kidnappers, “then letting them escape is a national disgrace”.
He also accused the government of losing control of national security and relying on public messaging to mask shortcomings. The presidency did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The attack took place on Nov. 17, when gunmen stormed the Government Girls’ Secondary School in Maga, killing a staff member and abducting 25 students, according to local media reports. One student escaped shortly after, leaving 24 in captivity until their release on Tuesday.
President Bola Tinubu welcomed the development in an earlier statement issued by Onanuga, saying all the girls had been accounted for and instructing security agencies to intensify deployments and prioritise the rescue of other abducted Nigerians.






