The African Portal
  • Home
  • General News
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Arts & Entertainment
  • Features & Opinions
  • Science & Technology
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • Agriculture & Environment
No Result
View All Result
SUBSCRIBE
The African Portal
  • Home
  • General News
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Arts & Entertainment
  • Features & Opinions
  • Science & Technology
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • Agriculture & Environment
No Result
View All Result
The African Portal
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Gunfire erupts in Guinea-Bissau capital ahead of election results, witnesses say

The African Portal by The African Portal
November 26, 2025
in Politics
0
Gunfire erupts in Guinea-Bissau capital ahead of election results, witnesses say

Gunfire erupts in Guinea-Bissau capital ahead of election results, witnesses say

0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

BISSAU, Nov 26 (The African Portal) – Gunfire broke out near Guinea-Bissau’s election commission headquarters, the presidential palace and interior ministry on Wednesday, a day before provisional results from a tense vote were due to be announced, witnesses said.

You might also like

Ex-president’s daughter resigns over allegations she duped South Africans to fight for Russia

31st December Women’s Movement hails Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings as “symbol of African womanhood”

Nigeria condemns G’Bissau coup, Jonathan evacuated by special flight

The coup-prone West African country held presidential and legislative elections on Sunday. The race pits incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embalo against top challenger Fernando Dias, and both sides claimed victory in the first round earlier this week.

It was not immediately clear who was involved in the shooting, which was witnessed in the area around the election commission by a Reuters journalist and two other residents.

The gunfire, which was also reported near the presidential palace and interior ministry building in the capital Bissau, lasted for about an hour but appeared to have stopped by 1400 GMT, the Reuters journalist said.

There was a heavy military presence outside the presidential palace, the Reuters journalist said.

One of the witnesses, a driver in Bissau who asked not to be named, told Reuters that residents were fleeing in panic from the scene before the gunfire died down.

“People are running everywhere,” he said.

A spokesperson for Embalo, Antonio Yaya Seidy, told Reuters that unidentified gunmen attacked the election commission to prevent an announcement of the vote results.

He said the men were affiliated with Dias, without providing evidence. A spokesperson for Dias did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

However former prime minister Domingos Simoes Pereira, who lost to Embalo in a contested runoff in 2019 and has backed Dias in this election, said Dias had nothing to do with the incident.

Dias was meeting election observers when “some people erupted in the room to announce that there were gunshots in the centre of the town,” said Pereira, who said he was in the same meeting.

Dias was safe and in Bissau, Pereira said.

He added he suspected Embalo was trying to simulate a coup so that he could declare an emergency, having determined he would be named the loser of the election, though he did not provide evidence for the claim.

Embalo says he has survived three coup attempts, but his critics have accused him of manufacturing crises as an excuse for crackdowns.

Gunfire rang out for hours in the capital in December 2023 in what Embalo’s government said was an attempted putsch. Embalo dissolved parliament in response, and the country has gone without a functioning legislature ever since.

Guinea-Bissau, a small coastal nation between Senegal and Guinea, saw at least nine coups between 1974, when it gained independence from Portugal, and 2020, when Embalo took office.

Embalo was seeking to become the first president in three decades to win a second consecutive term in Guinea-Bissau.

Pereira is the leader of the African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC), the party that led the fight for independence from Portugal in the 1960s and 1970s.

The PAIGC was, for the first time, barred from fielding candidates in the elections this year after authorities said it filed papers late.

Credit: Reuters

Author

  • The African Portal
    The African Portal

Tags: Guinea-Bissau's election
ShareTweet
The African Portal

The African Portal

Recommended For You

Ex-president’s daughter resigns over allegations she duped South Africans to fight for Russia

by The African Portal
November 28, 2025
0
Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla

JOHANNESBURG, Nov 28 (The African Portal) - The daughter of former South African President Jacob Zuma has resigned as an MP following allegations that she tricked 17 men...

Read moreDetails

31st December Women’s Movement hails Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings as “symbol of African womanhood”

by The African Portal
November 28, 2025
0
Ghana holds state funeral for former First Lady Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings

ACCRA, Nov 28 (The African Portal) - The 31st December Women’s Movement has paid an emotional tribute to the late former First Lady, Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings, describing her...

Read moreDetails

Nigeria condemns G’Bissau coup, Jonathan evacuated by special flight

by The African Portal
November 28, 2025
0
Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

ABUJA, Nov 28 (The African Portal) - Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau following a military coup that toppled the country’s government, the...

Read moreDetails

Guinea-Bissau military officers announce ‘all borders closed’ after taking control of country

by The African Portal
November 26, 2025
0
Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

BISSAU, Nov 26 (The African Portal) - Guinea-Bissau’s military announced on Wednesday that it had taken full control of the country and ordered the closure of all borders, three...

Read moreDetails

Schoolgirls release not victory, terrorists running alternative govt in Nigeria – Atiku

by The African Portal
November 26, 2025
0
Atiku Abubakar, Nigeria’s former vice president

ABUJA, Nov 26 (The African Portal) – Nigeria’s former vice president Atiku Abubakar on Wednesday criticised the government’s handling of the abduction and release of schoolgirls in Kebbi...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

Guinea-Bissau military officers announce 'all borders closed' after taking control of country

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Browse by Category

  • Agriculture & Environment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Features & Opinions
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • General News
  • Global News
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Videos

About The African Portal

  • About
  • Advertise with Us
  • The Editor

CATEGORIES

  • Agriculture & Environment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Features & Opinions
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • General News
  • Global News
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Videos

BROWSE BY TAG

News Events Sports 2026 World Cup qualifiers

© 2025 The African Portal

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

Powered by
...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • General News
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Arts & Entertainment
  • Features & Opinions
  • Science & Technology
  • Fisheries & Maritime
  • Agriculture & Environment

© 2025 The African Portal

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?